Keeping Up with the Jonzee

Naw...you still at the right spot.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

...when they leave, I be dancing again!


"Damn! That was so good, I wanna buy him a short set."


I'm not particularly a fan of 'Yonce. To me she often looks and acts like Bambi caught in the headlights of a semi. I wonder if her wide-eyed simpleness, is the creation of those who advise her, or if she really is that simple-minded. The words on her current record indicate, in actuality, it is probably a bit of both country girl and simpleness--mixed in with a little Jay-Z humor. If you put a 'Yonce song and expect me to be impressed...it generally won't happen.

But I have to admit, that B-day joint knocks in the replacement

And I find my self nodding my head... and shaking it all at the same time everytime I listen to it. Why the head shaking? 'Cause not only does some of the shit lack grammatical sense, some of her lines might as well undo the women's sufferage movement.

Her is a classic line from Upgrade You:

"I can do for you, what Martin did for the people. Men run the show, but women set the tempo."

What exactly does the first part mean? What exactly is it that Ms. 'Yonce thinks she can do that is comparable to what Martin Luther King or Martin Luther (she probably don't know nothing 'bout the later) did for the people? And the second part...well, that shit is debatable just on GP.

Oh and then there is the best line ever from Freakum' Dress (the title that is a whole different story). How you gon' write a song that basically says you going out 'cause your man is acting a fool but later state "Such an attraction, how my dress fits so nice. Little does he know, my man gonna take it off tonight." What da'???

This musically high-minded child of a jazz guitarist and proud member of the original "new school" hip-hop generation will have to let this be her guilty pleasure.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Athanasius said…

    That reminds me of what I termed "The Date Rape Combo" on Janet Jackson's Control album - she put "Funny How Time Flies" and "Let's Wait A While" back-to-back on the album. Mixed messages?

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Jameil said…

    that cd is tow up. that's all there is to it. she should've taken a few more weeks on it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home