Keeping Up with the Jonzee

Naw...you still at the right spot.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Film at 11

So, my defacto life coach wrote this post today regard Richard Corliss' article in Time Magazine about what he believes to be the top 25 most influential movies on Race.

Like my Coach, maybe he should have taken a poll or something first. Possibly asked around a bit. Maybe consulted black friends. (Okay, that was a little low.)

Rather than jack my homeboy's idea. Well, I am biting a little... I'ma give you a few that I think should be on the list--not in any particular order



Here ya go:

Claudine

The Color Purple

Jungle Fever

Do the Right Thing

A Time to Kill

Rosewood

Glory

Hollywood Shuffle


And please, tell me what you think should (for that matter) should not, be on the list

2 Comments:

  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Ferocious Kitty said…

    Hmmm...

    I would add to your list:

    Car Wash (were soundtracks important before this classic one?)

    Imitation of Life (1959; didn't see the first one, but i want to)

    Whatever the first Black Buppie Wedding Movie was (not "great", but definitely influential in that it spawned so many copycats)

    Boyz in the Hood

    Malcolm X (flawed, but influential)

    Eve's Bayou

    Lady Sings the Blues (introduced Lady Day to a generation who might have otherwise slept on her)

    Mahogany

    The Wiz

    Love Jones

    Cooley High (I still cry when Cochise is killed)

    "Raw" and "Delirious" (folks are still quoting those today)

    Which Way Is Up?

    Daughters of the Dust

    Spook Who Sat by the Door

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Dang. Love Jones and Raw and the Wiz. I was going to put those on there. And I was also thinking about Uptown Saturday Night.

    There are so many!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home